En Tue, 13 Oct 2009 03:48:00 -0300, Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfr...@ix.netcom.com> escribió:
On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 16:36:58 -0700, Ethan Furman <et...@stoneleaf.us>

coffe table, you look in your car, etc, etc, and so forth.  If you move
a file in a package to somewhere else, and you don't tell the package
where it's at, it's not going to start looking all over the hard-drive
for it.  If that were the case you would have to be extra careful to
have every module's name be distinct, and then what's the point of
having packages?

        Heh... Digging up some ancient history but... TRS-80 TRSDOS6 (and
some earlier incarnations too) WOULD search all active drives if no
drive letter was specified (no subdirectories, of course -- and I never
had a hard drive on mine [$5000 for a 5MB drive?], just the two
floppies). And for creating files, again if no drive were specified, it
would create the file on the first drive that was not write-protected.

In the old MSDOS era, there was the APPEND command. It was used to set a list of directories or subdirectories that were searched for data files (in a way similar as PATH works for executable files). For example, after APPEND c:\pirulo\data;doc you could edit a file like c:\foo\doc\readme.txt directly from the c:\foo directory:

c:\foo> edit readme.txt

and because of "doc" being in the APPEND path, edit would find it. I think Stef would enjoy using it - just listing each subdirectory would make the disk tree completely flat as seen by the application.

I think this functionality was removed by the time Windows 95 came out because it was very dangerous. It was extremely easy to open (or even remove!) the wrong file.

--
Gabriel Genellina