* tm:
On 28 Okt., 07:52, "Alf P. Steinbach" <al...@start.no> wrote:
[Cross-posted comp.programming and comp.lang.python]

Looking at your topic '(Python in Windows)', without taking a
glimpse at your actual introduction, I have the following to say:
I think it is not a good idea to teach programming with a focus
on a specific operating system. Programming should IMHO be taught
without reference to an operating system. Otherwise you just teach
how to write unportable programs.

I think you're trolling a little. :-)

Without reference to an OS you can't address any of the issues that a beginner has to grapple with, including most importantly tool usage, without which it's not even possible to get started, but also, very importantly, a file system.

Learning programming without tools and without using files (or only using the common denominator for file systems in OSes X, Y and Z) is sort of vacuous...

In addition there's the motivational factor.

Doing only academic examples, utilizing only a language's more or less portable functionality, is very de-motivational, while the opposite is motivational.

Hi.

I may finally have found the perfect language for a practically oriented
introductory book on programming, namely Python.

What is considered 'perfect' depends on the point of view. Languages
have assets and drawbacks and I don't even use the term 'perfect'
for my own language. :-) There is always room to improve. Some of
the features I consider important are discussed here:

  http://seed7.sourceforge.net/faq.htm

C++ was way too complex for the novice, JScript and C# suffered from too
fast-changing specifications and runtime environment, Java, well, nothing
particularly wrong but it's sort of too large and unwieldy and inefficient.

While many people consider Java inefficient they do so in comparison
to C/C++. I doubt that Java is inefficient compared to most
interpreted languages.

I don't know whether this will ever become an actual book. I hope so!

But since I don't know much Python -- I'm *learning* Python as I write

Normally I prefer books written by people who already know the
stuff they are writing about. I would consider that it is not a good
selling argument when a book was written to *learn* a language. :-)

Yes, it would be silly to write a book or whatever about Python. This text is primarily about programming, at the novice level, not about the Python language. The programming language is only a vehicle.

However, as a vehicle the language needs to be suited for transport of the novice. :-)

And it seems that Python is very well suited for that.

Seed7 Homepage:  http://seed7.sourceforge.net

I'm not familiar with Seed, sorry.

Cheers, & thanks for your thoughts,

- Alf