Terry Reedy wrote:

A 'pro' argument: Python was designed for learning and is good for that and *is* used in schools down to the elementary level. But kids cannot be expected to know foreign alphabets and words whill still learning their own.

I taught myself BASIC at 9 by reading magazines, but had my first english lessons five years later. Knowing english would have helped to understand the operating/language manuals, not the language keywords themselves.

I suppose if you were to try what the OP suggested, you would need to translate a lot of the standard library, parameter names, and such... nonsense.