On 2010-01-20 08:40 AM, Brian Blais wrote:
Hello,

I am noticing a hard crash of the ipython interpreter, with the pylab
option, with the turtle module. I am on Win XP, Enthought Edition 6.0.0
which uses Python 2.6. I can't reproduce it without the pylab option,
nor on the Mac (with an earlier Enthought Edition). The crash happens
only when I try to move the turtle window, after it has drawn. The
following commands are enough to give the resulting error.

In [1]: from turtle import *

In [2]: pendown()

In [3]: forward(10)

In [4]: Fatal Python error: PyEval_RestoreThread: NULL tstate

way.

Any ideas? Of course, I'll use it without the pylab option, but that
means that there are two icons I need instead of one. Minor
inconvenience for me, but a bit more of a pain for my students.

The IPython list is probably a better place for this question. Is suspect that the problem is the mixing of GUIs. turtle uses Tk, but I suspect that your configured matplotlib backend is WxAgg. "ipython -pylab" will bring up a wx application as the main thread for execution of the code you type. When you try to bring in another GUI event loop, something goes awry.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco