On 2010-02-24 17:01 PM, Aahz wrote:
In article<mailman.194.1267045621.4577.python-l...@python.org>,
Steve Holden<st...@holdenweb.com>  wrote:

Spam is, at least from my point of view, UCE: unsolicited commercial
e-mail. So anything that isn't commercial (like those "send these to ten
of your friends" emails) isn't spam (but it might just as well be).

That's roughly correct, but I also think that if someone posts the same
message to five mailing lists, it's not unreasonable to call that
spamming.

This accords with my understanding of the term and, it appears, that of
Wikipedia:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsgroup_spam

--
Robert Kern