Ed Keith wrote:
--- On Wed, 3/3/10, D'Arcy J.M. Cain  wrote:

They needed a way to tell where the end of the information
was.  Why
they used ^Z (SUB - Substitute) instead of ^C (ETX - End of
TeXt) or
even ^D (EOT - End Of Transmission) is anyone's guess.

That has always puzzled me to. ETX and EOT were well established, why no use
one of them? I'd love to know what they were thinking.

Probably nothing: what many people do with confronted with a problem.

It reminds me of why Windows uses backslashes for path separation instead of slashes: what I've *heard*, and do not know if it's true, it's because Gates fancied using / for options switch instead of -, and to hell with established practice.

Regards,
mk