Javier Montoya wrote:
Dear all,

I'm a newbie in python and would be acknowledge if somebody could shed
some light on associative arrays.
More precisely, I would like to create a multi-dimensional associative
array. I have for example a list of students which are identified
uniquely by their student IDs. Additionally, for each student I have
some information: FirstName, LastName, etc.

The array would have then the following form:
[StudentID] => [FirstName][LastName][Telephone]...[ ... ]

I would like to be able to access a field directly by using a
StudentID
[StudentID][FirstName]
[StudentID][LastName]

How could I manipulate such an array (create the array, add elements,
access data)?

Best wishes

Create a class for student with attributes for ID, FirstName, LastName, etc.

 class Student:
     def __init__(self, id, FirstName, ...):
         self.id = id
         self.FirstName = FirstName

then whenever you create a student object, use a dictionary to associate the object with its is
 AA = {} # An empty dictionary
 s = Student(...)
 AA[s.id] = s
 ... and repeat for many students...

Then to access a student's object given an id:
 s = AA[id]
 print s.id, s.FirstName, s.LastName, ...

I'd *not* call this a multi-dimension association, but rather just an association between student objects and their ids.

Hope that helps,

Gary Herron

--
Gary Herron, PhD.