On 30-May-10 08:22 AM, Philip Semanchuk wrote:

On May 29, 2010, at 9:13 PM, <jyoun...@kc.rr.com> <jyoun...@kc.rr.com>
wrote:

Just curious if anyone would be willing to share their thoughts
about different Python GUI programming modules. I've been
doing a bit of research and am trying to find something that:

1. Is portable. Would like to be able to send the module along
with the main python file that would be able to run a GUI
window. Would be sending this to multiple machines.
Currently I'd like it to work on OS X machines, but it'd be nice
if it worked on Windows machines, etc. Probably be using
Python 2.5 or 2.6.

Hi Jay,
wxPython, pyQT and Tkinter are all portable in that they'll run under OS
X, Windows, Gnome and KDE. Getting them installed there in some sane
fashion is another matter. There are programs like py2exe and py2app
that you've found, but Python doesn't lend itself to being bundled this
way. It can work, but may be a fair amount of trouble depending on what
modules you're trying to use and how diverse your target machines are.

6. TkInter - Does this module come standard on all machines
that have Python? Haven't worked with this one much, but if I
send Python code to other machines would TkInter work?

That's my understanding. I haven't used it. I gather that Tkinter is
useful in a pinch, but that it isn't appropriate for applications with
much more than a minimalist GUI.

Would love to hear anyones thoughts about GUI programming
and what they use. Would also like to hear pros/cons with the
different modules/apps.

There's lots of discussion on this topic in the archives of this mailing
list and others. These modules haven't changed dramatically over the
past few years, so any recent-ish conversation is relevant.

Good luck
Philip

PS - we use wxPython

I am just starting with PyQt4. It has an IDE, Eric4, which seems flexible and is about to be fully geared up for Windows. There is also a Screen Designer, that I haven't used yet.

Colin W.