"Grant Edwards" <inva...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:hullf3$hl...@reader1.panix.com...
On 2010-06-08, Kevin Walzer <k...@codebykevin.com> wrote:

Since Tk already provides a basic GUI toolset, and Python can interface
with it more directly than it can with other toolkits
(PyGui -> PyGtk -> Gtk -> Xlib),

Compare that to this:

TkInter -> Tcl -> Tk -> Xlib

Is the Tcl intepreter really need to use this GUI? Why not:

(Pyton ->) Tkinter-API -> Xlib ?

Most of the work of designing a GUI is, well, designing it. That's already been done for Tkinter so why not just implement the same spec in Python (with whatever lower-level code is needed). Then extending it should be simpler.

it's not clear to me what is gained by starting from scratch here.
(Is it the presence of the Tcl interpreter? I know Tcl is not to
everyone's taste, but it is an amazing language...)

Some people aren't interested in the amazing language. Only the graphics API that goes with it.

--
Bartc