"Steven D'Aprano" <steve-remove-t...@cybersource.com.au> wrote in message news:4c101fbc$0$28644$c3e8...@news.astraweb.com...
On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 04:16:23 -0700, ant wrote:

1 Although a few advocates of Tkinter have spoken in favour of it, most
seem to think that:
    It's not particularly elegant, either in its use or its
implementation with Tcl/Tk
    If we didn't have a GUI in the distribution, we wouldn't choose
Tkinter now; it seems like its inclusion
    is  a sort of historical accident.

I'm not so sure about that. If we didn't have a GUI, what would we
include?

Is the Tkinter GUI also the basic way that Python handles a graphics display? (I've never tried it.)

If it is, then perhaps it's possible to split the purely graphical drawing stuff (which is simple) from the dialog/widget stuff (which is not so simple).

A library for graphical display, plus basic user-input, should be straightforward to implement. And can be used to produce crude (non-native) GUIs.

--
Bartc