I know I have more radical options, such as starting
a new IDLE window. That would save me time, but
I'd like to take the opportunity to understand what
is happening. Surely someone out there knows.

Frederic

Or you can restart the IDLE shell with CTRL+F6.

If you can't restart it, you're probably not using an IDLE subprocess:

On linux, make sure the menu item doesn't use "-n" in the command
On Windows, first open IDLE, then open the file, or change the Open command to not use the "-n" flag.

Sorry to not chip in to your question, frankly, Steven nailed it!
Just thought to share an IDLE tip :)

Nick