On 19/11/2010 00:07, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 14:21:47 +0000, Martin Gregorie wrote:

I use 'script' to refer to programs written in languages that don't have
a separate compile phase which must be run before the program can be
executed. IOW Python and Perl programs are scripts aloing with programs
written as awk, Javascript and bash scripts.

You're mistaken then about Python, because it does have a separate
compilation phase that runs before the program can be executed. Where do
you think the .pyc files come from, and what did you think the compile()
function did? It just happens automatically, rather than manually.

[snip]
I think what he means is that you don't need explicitly to compile and
then run.