On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 22:55:53 +0000, Tim Harig wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to check in on this, Tim!

> So, basically, you want to store a local copy of the data and sync it to
> the original.
In a way. I only need to store one copy of the data, and make note of
changes between it and the current data.

> You need to differentiate between the in memory data model and the
> storage model.  Since this data comes from a database in the first
> place, I would dump it to an sqlite3 database from the beginning.  You
> can use this to store, modify, and change the values as you receive them
> from the database.
I thought of doing that, but given that I only need to store a single
instance of the data, a simple pickle will do the job nicely (am I
correct in reading that it can save/load any python object?)

> If you are looking for in-memory structures, then you haven't really
> provided us with enough information on the significance and organization
> of the data.
The data columns:
Long Int, String (under 30 chars), String (over 100 chars)
The rows can scale up to hundreds, perhaps thousands.

The integer is the database key, the shorter string is a user name, and
the longer string is an access control definition. The whole idea of this
script is to check, daily, for any added or removed users - or any
altered access control definition.

I realize this could likely all be done from inside the database itself -
but altering the DB itself is not an option (as the product vendor is
very touchy about that, and altering it can null our support agreement)