[wrapped lines to <80 characters per RFC 1855]
On 2011-01-12, Physics Python <physicsandpyt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is this an indentation problem then?

That depends how you look at it.  I was not clear from your code exactly
where you wanted to handle things.

> How do I update the sentinel within the secondary while loop. I am
> trying to avoid using breaks by the way, as I can program this example
> using breaks:

You don't need breaks.

> import random
> print "\tWelcome to 'Guess my number'!:"
> print "\nI'm thinking of a number between 1 and 100."
> print "Try to guess it in as few attempts as possible.\n"
>
> the_number = random.randrange(1,101)
>
> tries = 0
>
> while True:

while can be used to test for more then a single condition at a time using
and/or chains.

>     else:
>         print "You guessed it! The number was", the_number
>         print "And it only took you", tries, "tries!\n"
>         break
>     if  tries == 7:
>         print "Wow you suck! It should only take at most 7 tries!"
>         break

Both of these tests can be performed as part of the loop itself.  The end
results can therefore be tested and handled outside of the loop without
using breaks.