On 25/01/2011 19:16, CM wrote:
On Jan 25, 10:13 am, Nicholas Devenish<misno...@gmail.com>  wrote:

I don't know--you sound too reasonable to extrapolate from this goofy
thread to a huge toolkit project that has been around for years and is
used in project such as Audacity (that's the wxWidgets version, but
close enough).  But yes, it almost at times seemed like--from what I
could manage to read--this thread was a "psy-ops" (psychological
operations) trick to turn off wxPython adopters by associating it with
juvenile nonsense, and yes, on a quick scan it could turn people
off.

Personally, no, it probably wouldn't have caused me not to use wx. But it certainly would have put a mental tick in the against box, because a frameworks community matters. As a little aside, a personal example is Django, whose tutorial contained what to my un-django-trained eye looked like an inconsistency bug, without explanation. I filed a bug report, and apparently many other people have had the same misassumption (indicating a problem with the tutorial). The bug was closed with words effectively equivalent to "Stupid newbie". Ignoring the fact that documentation being consistently misinterpreted should indicate a real problem, why should I put my time and effort into learning a framework with a community that is so hostile, when there are plenty of alternatives?

Which would be a shame, because, as you, Andrea, and others have
noted, wxPython is a nice toolkit.  For those interested, download it
and make sure to download the Demo, that shows what can be done with
it.  (Very early in this discussion the screenshots on the website
came up; they are horrifically out of date and wxPython deserves
better and looks great on, say, Windows 7 or Ubuntu....well, it looks
native, and that's the point).

I actually chose wxPython partly on the strength of it's native-ness - it looks like other mac applications, and doesn't run through X11, but I was also extremely impressed by the comprehensive wxPython demo. That, and installation seemed to be pretty easy, whereas GTK looked a little like a minefield (QT I have a personal bias against, because for whatever reason I associate it with KDE and in general dislike kde's 'look' and design philosopy).

But what I would enjoy is a discussion about GUIs in terms of "develop
once, deploy many".  For example, pyjamas, since I think being able to
develop one GUI that works as desktop or web-based is kind of
exciting.  Unfortunately, it seems it is far off from anything easily
usable at this point.  Part of that might be it doesn't have a big
enough community of developers yet.  It's also just really difficult,
I'm sure.

I was only aware of pyjamas as a "Python to Javascript" compiler, and didn't know you could write desktop applications in it too. One to watch!