Philip Semanchuk wrote:
On Aug 16, 2011, at 11:41 AM, Ethan Furman wrote:
Philip Semanchuk wrote:
If we are to eschew warnings in
cases where they might be highlighting something harmless, then we would
have no warnings at all.

Sounds good to me.  ;)  Keep such things in the IDE's, and then those
>> who desire such behavior can have it there.  Do not clutter Python with
>> such.

You wink, yet you sound serious.

The smiley is an attempt to not sound harsh.

> What's with the mixed message? Do you honestly advocate removing all
> warnings from Python, or not? I sincerely would like to know what you think.

I think warnings should be reserved for language changes and such (like DeprecationWarning, RuntimeWarning, and FutureWarning), not for possible programmer mistakes.

What makes you think it's unintentional?  file makes a good variable name...

"Unintentional" as in, "I'm using file as a variable name because it's handy"
> as opposed to intentional as in "Yes, I am deliberately changing the meaning
> of this builtin".

That's not what 'unintentional' means. Further, there's no way to tell whether it was or was not from the code alone. Unless it caused a bug, in which case I'd be willing to call it unintentional. ;)

I don't see that as a problem that Python needs to solve.

"need" is a strong word. Python will be fine regardless of whether this changes
> or not. I believe Python could be improved; that's all I'm arguing.

Python can be improved -- I don't see 'hand-holding' as an improvement. IDEs and lints can do this.

~Ethan~