On 4/3/2012 8:39 AM, Nathan Rice wrote:

Ultimately, the answers to your questions exist in the world for you
to see.  How does a surgeon describe a surgical procedure?  How does a
chef describe a recipe?  How does a carpenter describe the process of
building cabinets?  Aside from specific words, they all use natural
language, and it works just fine.

Not really. Surgeon's learn by *watching* a surgeon who knows the operation and next (hopefully) doing a particular surgery under supervision of such a surgeon, who watches and talks, and may even grab the instruments and re-show. They then really learn by doing the procedure on multiple people. They often kill a few on the way to mastery.

I first learned basic carpentry and other skills by watching my father. I don't remember that he ever said anything about how to hold the tools.

I similarly learned basic cooking by watching my mom. My knowledge of how to crack open an egg properly and separate the yolk from the rest is a wordless memory movie.

--
Terry Jan Reedy