On 6/8/2012 4:09 AM, Alister wrote:
On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 20:20:47 +0000, jkells wrote:

We are new to developing applications with Python.  A question came up
concerning Python libraries being portable between Architectures.
More specifically, can we take a python library that runs on a X86
architecture and run it on a SPARC architecture or do we need to get the
native libraries for SPARC?

Thanking you in advance

That would depend on the particular module
if it is a pure python module then it will work anywhere

Unless it uses one of the few things that are system dependent. But these are marked in the docs (example: "Abailability: Unix") and are mostly in the os module. An example is os.fork. There are also some system-specific things in the socket module, although it embodies much effort to make things as cross-platform as possible.

if it is a C module for example cStringIO then it would be architecture
dependent.

some modules are wrappers to external library's (example GTK) so for
those to work the necessary library files would need to be available

if you are using modules that are in the standard library (except some
platform specific ones ) then they should be available across all
platforms, otherwise you would need to check

see http://docs.python/library for details of the standard library

--
Terry Jan Reedy