Steven D'Aprano wrote:
This mailing list is about helping our fellow Python developers improve their skills and solve problems. That doesn't just mean *coding* problems, it also means helping them to write better documentation and promote their software better.

Indeed it is, and your reminder is appreciated. Hopefully my followup-post was more explanatory.

Unless the software is so well-known that everybody knows what it is, failure to mention what the software does gives the impression that: 1) the software is so niche, or so ill-thought out, that the developer *can't* describe it succinctly;

Nah -- just the end of a long week, needed to go get my daughter, and wanted it out there for those few who actually need the bug fixes (which I neglected to mention).

2) the developer has such poor communication skills that trying to get support will be a nightmare;

My support is pretty good.  :)

3) that he just doesn't give a monkey's toss for anyone else's time

See point one.

or all three. Ethan is a good, helpful member of this community, and
so I'm pretty sure that neither 2) nor 3) are true, but others may get
the wrong impression.

Thank you. The project is kinda niche, but very useful if you happen to be in that niche.

Here are a few randomly selected examples of good release announcements:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-announce-list/2012-June/009528.html

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-announce-list/2012-June/009509.html

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-announce-list/2012-June/009524.html

Those are good.  My announcement will be better next time.

~Ethan~