On 07/23/2012 06:22 AM, Dave Angel wrote:
On 07/23/2012 09:06 AM, Chris Angelico wrote:
On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 10:55 PM, Roy Smith <r...@panix.com> wrote:
Some day, we're going to have programming languages that take advantage
of the full unicode character set.  Right now, we're working in ASCII
and creating silly digrams/trigrams like r'' for raw strings (and triple-quotes
for multi-line
strings).  Not to mention <=, >=, ==, !=.  And in languages other than
python, things like ->, => (arrows for structure membership), and so on.
REXX predates Unicode, I think, or at least its widespread adoption,
but it has a non-ASCII operator:

http://www.rexswain.com/rexx.html#operators

But personally, I've always used backslash. It's nothing to do with
ASCII and everything to do with having it on the keyboard. Before you
get a language that uses full Unicode, you'll need to have fairly
generally available keyboards that have those keys.

ChrisA

Keyboards with 110,000 keys on them; wonderful.  And much larger
characters on the screen, so that all those can be distinguished.  And
of course all fonts have to support all those characters.

Back to 20 character lines.

Somewhat different than this discussion, and I'm not familiar with it myself, but I've read about the "Space Cadet Keyboard". It's described (among other places) at:

http://catb.org/jargon/html/S/space-cadet-keyboard.html

     -=- Larry -=-

OT: This "Jargon File" can be an entertaining read. I found "The Story of Mel" particularly fascinating.