Thanks a lotl, someone that writes on the file while reading might be
an explanation, the problem is that everyone claims that they are only
reading the file.
If that is true, then make that file system read only. Soon it will turn out who is writing them. ;-)

Apparently this file is generated once and a long time after only read
by two different tools (in sequence), so this could not be possible
either in theory.. I'll try to investigate more in this sense since
it's the only reasonable explation I've found so far.

Safe solution would be to develop a system where files go through "states" in a predefined order:

* allow programs to write into files with .incomplete extension.
* allow them to rename the file to .complete.
* create a single program that renames .complete files to .gz files AFTER making them read-only for everybody else.
* readers should only read .gz file
* .gz files are then guaranteed to be complete.