One last thing I would like to do before I add this fix is to actually
be able to reproduce this behaviour, and I thought I could just do the
following:

import gzip
import threading

class OpenAndRead(threading.Thread):
     def run(self):
         fz = gzip.open('out2.txt.gz')
         fz.read()
         fz.close()

if __name__ == '__main__':
     for i in range(100):
         OpenAndRead().start()

But no matter how many threads I start, I can't reproduce the CRC
error, any idea how I can try to help it happening?
Your example did not share the file object between threads. Here an example that does that:

class OpenAndRead(threading.Thread):
    def run(self):
        global fz
        fz.read(100)

if __name__ == '__main__':
   fz = gzip.open('out2.txt.gz')
   for i in range(10):
        OpenAndRead().start()

Try this with a huge file. And here is the one that should never throw CRC error, because the file object is protected by a lock:

class OpenAndRead(threading.Thread):
    def run(self):
        global fz
        global fl
        with fl:
            fz.read(100)

if __name__ == '__main__':
   fz = gzip.open('out2.txt.gz')
   fl = threading.Lock()
   for i in range(2):
        OpenAndRead().start()

The code in run should be shared by all the threads since there are no
locks, right?
The code is shared but the file object is not. In your example, a new file object is created, every time a thread is started.