On 23-Oct-2012 22:03, Cousin Stanley wrote:
Virgil Stokes wrote:

Not sure about "tac" --- could you provide more details on this
and/or a simple example of how it could be used for fast reversed
"reading" of a data file ?
   tac is available as a command under linux ....

   $ whatis tac
   tac (1) - concatenate and print files in reverse

   $ whereis tac
   tac: /usr/bin/tac /usr/bin/X11/tac /usr/share/man/man1/tac.1.gz

   $ man tac

   SYNOPSIS
     tac [OPTION]... [FILE]...

   DESCRIPTION

     Write each FILE to standard output, last line first.

     With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input.

   I only know that the  tac  command exists
   but have never used it myself ....

Unfortunately, I may be forced to process the data on a Windows platform; but, thanks Cousin for the Linux tip.