Hi Ian,

I apologize for trying your patience with the badly written code example. All objects were meant to be ThirdParty(), the demo was only to show how a slice() filter could have been applied for the reasons PEP357 made index() to exist. eg: because numpy items passed to __getitems__ via slice syntax [::] were illegal values. PEP 357 is the one who specifically mentioned Numpy types -- which is the only reason I used the name in the example; I could have just as well used a string.

I am fully aware of what numpy does -- I have used it; modified the fortran interfaces underneath, etc.

The index() method, however, affects *all* list objects in Python, not just Numpy's -- correct?

I'll write a working piece of code tomorrow to demonstrate the filter very clearly rather than a skeleton, and test it before posting.