On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 9:01 PM, mogul <morten.gulda...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 'Aloha!
Hello!
> I'm new to python, got 10-20 years perl and C experience, all gained on unix
> alike machines hacking happily in vi, and later on in vim.

You are already awesome,

> Now it's python, and currently mainly on my kubuntu desktop.

and now you just became more awesome.  (sans the Kubuntu part, but I
do not care.)

> Do I really need a real IDE, as the windows guys around me say I do, or will
> vim, git, make and other standalone tools make it the next 20 years too for
> me?

Do you really think that those Windows idiots know what they are
talking about?  It’s Windows, for fuck’s sake.  The only OS in the
market that does not give a shit about POSIX.  Windows does need an
IDE, then, because it is really hard to do anything useful without
one.  Sure, this mail was sent from Windows, but I am using it for
gaming purposes.  If I want to do some programming, Linux is the
proper environment.  For me, it is Arch Linux with KDE and Konsole,
running tabs of vim (with [python-mode][]) and ipython.  And other
useful tools (among others, Chrome with the docs.)

[python-mode]: https://github.com/klen/python-mode

> Oh, by the way, after 7 days I'm completely in love with this python thing. I
> should have made the switch much earlier!

That is great news.

--
Kwpolska <http://kwpolska.tk>
stop html mail      | always bottom-post