On 01/05/2013 03:35 AM, Sia wrote:
I have strings such as:

> tA.-2AG.-2AG,-2ag
> or
> .+3ACG.+5CAACG.+3ACG.+3ACG
>
> The plus and minus signs are always followed by a number (say, i). I want python to find each single plus or minus, remove the sign, the number after it and remove i characters after that. So the two strings above become:
>
> tA..,
> and
>
> How can I do that?
> Thanks.

I think it's a bit cleaner and nicer to do something similar to
itertools.takewhile but takewhile 'eats' a single next value.
I was actually doing some stuff that also needed this. I wonder if
there's a more elegant, robust way to do this?

Here's what I got for now:

class BIterator(object):
    """Iterator with 'buffered' takewhile."""

    def __init__(self, seq):
        self.seq        = iter(seq)
        self.buffer     = []
        self.end_marker = object()
        self.last       = None

    def consume(self, n):
        for _ in range(n): self.next()

    def next(self):
val = self.buffer.pop() if self.buffer else next(self.seq, self.end_marker)
        self.last = val
        return val

    def takewhile(self, test):
        lst = []
        while True:
            val = self.next()
            if val is self.end_marker:
                return lst
            elif test(val):
                lst.append(val)
            else:
                self.buffer.append(val)
                return lst

    def joined_takewhile(self, test):
        return ''.join(self.takewhile(test))

    def done(self):
        return bool(self.last is self.end_marker)

s = ".+3ACG.+5CAACG.+3ACG.+3ACG"
not_plusminus = lambda x: x not in "+-"
isdigit       = lambda x: x.isdigit()

def process(s):
    lst = []
    s   = BIterator(s)

    while True:
        lst.extend(s.takewhile(not_plusminus))
        if s.done(): break
        s.next()
        n = int(s.joined_takewhile(isdigit))
        s.consume(n)

    return ''.join(lst)

print(process(s))

Obviously it assumes the input is well-formed, but the logic would be
very easy to change to, for example, check for s.done() after each step.

 - mitya