On Fri, 4 Jan 2013, Roy Smith wrote:

In article <mailman.105.1357349909.2939.python-l...@python.org>,
Cameron Simpson <c...@zip.com.au> wrote:

On 01/04/13 01:34, Anssi Saari wrote:
| Just curious since I read the same thing in a programming book recently
| (21st century C). So what's the greatness that terminal multiplexors
| offer over tabbed terminals? Especially for software development?

There's no doubt that you need access to multiple terminal sessions.
Whether you achieve that with multiple terminal windows on your desktop,
multiple desktops, tabbed terminals, or something like screen is
entirely personal preference.

+1

I use a tiling WM (awesomewm), but I still find that tmux has its place. Usually I'll have a terminal per box that I'm working on, and a tmux session within that.

This allows me to detach and reattach from any system I'm on. In addition, if I lose my connection, I don't have to figure out which processes I had in bg. There's also the neat ability (at least with tmux - I haven't used screen for a while now) to work across sessions - so I might have a personal session (with things like alpine and irssi), a dev session (with Vim, a python prompt, and a shell) - and I can either keep them separate if I need to focus, or join the windows if I need some help.

One thing that I've noticed that tmux does poorly is handle the mouse for selecting. And as I haven't yet written or found a cross-platform/machine clipboard manager, using the tmux copy or xclip doesn't really help that much :P

I'd say the main benefit (aside from tiling) is the attach/detach. Unless your machine powers off or you kill tmux/screen, your sessions will stay around.

-W