On 24/02/2013 16:58, Chris Angelico wrote:

[...]

MySQL has a philosophical structure of "user logs in to app,
but app logs in to database as superuser regardless of user login".

Out of curiosity, is there anything wrong with that approach?

The project I am developing is a business/accounting application, which supports multiple database systems - at this stage, PostgreSQL, MS SQL Server, and sqlite3.

I use exactly the philosophy you describe above. If I relied on the RDBMS's internal security model, I would have to understand and apply each one separately.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Frank Millman