On Mar 6, 11:03 pm, Jason Hsu <jhsu802...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm currently in the process of learning Ruby on Rails.  I'm going through
> the Rails for Zombies tutorial, and I'm seeing the power of Rails.
>
> I still need to get a Ruby on Rails site up and running for the world to see.
>  (My first serious RoR site will profile mutual funds from a value investor's
> point of view.)
>
> I have an existing web site and project called Doppler Value Investing
> (dopplervalueinvesting.com) that uses Drupal to display the web pages and
> Python web-scraping scripts to create *.csv and *.html files showing
> information on individual stocks.  My site has a tacked-on feel to it, and I
> definitely want to change the setup.
>
> At a future time, I will rebuild my Doppler Value Investing web site in
> either Ruby on Rails or Django.  The Ruby on Rails route will require
> rewriting my Python script in Ruby.  The Django route will require learning
> Django.  (I'm not sure which one will be easier.)
>
> My questions:
> 1.  Why is Ruby on Rails much more popular than Django?

"Where there is choice there is no freedom"
http://www.jiddu-krishnamurti.net/en/1954/1954-03-03-jiddu-krishnamurti-8th-public-talk

Python-for-web offered so much choice -- zope, django, turbogears,
cherrypy, web.py etc etc -- that the newbie was completely drowned.
With Ruby there is only one choice to make -- choose Ruby and rails
follows.

Anyone who's used emacs will know this as the bane of FLOSS software
-- 100 ways of doing something and none perfect -- IOW too much
spurious choice.

GvR understood and rigorously implemented a dictum that Nicklaus Wirth
formulated decades ago -- "The most important thing about language
design is what to leave out." Therefore Python is a beautiful
language.  Unfortunately the same leadership did not carry over to web
frameworks and so we have a mess.

I guess the situation is being corrected with google putting its
artillery behind django.