On 03/09/2013 10:34 AM, Kene Meniru wrote:
OK. Sorry to have caused all the confusion. Let me try this again.

Thank you very much.  This is much clearer, though it's not all here.

To use my program the user needs a script file I will call user.py.
Functions from my program must be imported into this file with
something like "from myapp import *".

And does the user run this script by doing
    python  user.py

myapp.py is a module in my program that has all the functions that the
user needs to describe building components. There is also a main
controller object that is imported into myapp.py module called app.

When python parses user.py module,

You presumably mean, "When Python runs the script user.py"

the functions the user has provided
creates building components which are then saved in a dictionary
located in an object called doc that is part of my program.

What program is that? Looks to me like you're writing a series of modules, a framework perhaps, that is invoked by the user script.

The user is free to use the functions in myapp.py to describe building
components. When this process is complete or when the user wants to
view their work-in-progress, they have to place a function called
view() on the last line in user.py.

Don't you mean the code in user.py has to *call* the function app.view() when they're all done with defining the components? That has nothing to do with being the last line.

This function currently exports

You mean writes files into the file system?

the components into POV-Ray or OpenSCAD format. These are CAD programs
that read script files to render or create images of the described
artifacts. So this means that to view their work the user needs to run
python on user.py to export the building and then run POV-Ray or
OpenSCAD on the exported file to see the building.

At that point, the user.py script has completed, and Python is done, right?

I want to make it possible for the user to preview the building
components without having to use the external rendering programs. I
can currently have the app object provide this preview but it means
that the user will have to process user.py with python then exit the
graphic window each time they need to see changes.

What changes are those? You can't change a script while it's executing. Could you clarify this so I can rethink the following paragraph?

So the solution I am looking for is to have a graphic window open that
watches user.py for changes. If there is a change the graphic window
updates the rendition of the created components without further
intervention by the user. However this means that the graphic must
somehow run python to parse user.py and then be able to access the
objects stored in doc so that the coordinates can be used to update
the view. This is where I am having difficulty.

I hope this is clearer.

--
DaveA