On Tuesday, March 26, 2013 12:33:54 PM UTC-4, Jerry Hill wrote:

> > I find this kind of thing sad: it feels to me that programmers are working
> > around somewhat arbitrary and changing restrictions. Rather than avoid
> > names like "collections", why not try to address the underlying problem?
> > There isn't an ambiguity here in my view: the fullname is
> > mypackage.collections
>

> You've said a couple of times now that the original author has a
>
> package named "mypackage" with a module "collections" in it.  As far
>
> as I can tell, that's untrue.  The original post claims to have a
>
> package named "collections", which is colliding with the builtin
>
> module of the same name.
>

> As far as I can tell, all of your suggestions about using your
>
> pyimport-relative tool aren't helpful unless the author re-names his
>
> package from "collections" to "mypackage" and then moves all of their
>
> code into a "collections" module inside "mypackage", right?

Right. Perhaps then I misunderstand. Having a package called "collections" when
there is something out there already called "collections" clearly ill advised.

But in that case, using sys.path to get around this is still a bad idea: the
clash should be fixed. Sure, only in the case that this really can't be
addressed would I use sys.path.