On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 4:37 AM, Ma Xiaojun <damage3...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, Python has much more libraries. But it seems that Python is more
> useful and suitable in CLI and Web applications. People are still
> discussing whether to replace tkinter with wxPython or not. VB and VFP
> people are never bothered with such issue.

Let me put this debate in context by giving an analogous example. A
while back, it was loudly proclaimed that it was far easier to write
iPhone apps than Android ones, because Android apps had to worry about
a variety of different screen resolutions/sizes, while iPhone ones
could be certain of what they were going to get. But what this really
meant was that writing for iPhone was equivalent to writing for
"Android on phone model XYZ", and that you could, by targeting
Android, also then make your app available on a bunch of other phone
models by simply dealing with the differences.

Python gives you a lot more choice than VB does. With Visual BASIC, if
you don't like the windowing toolkit, tough. You don't have any
alternative. With Python, you can pretend it's like VB by simply
picking one toolkit and ignoring all the others; it'll be exactly the
same. But the benefit is that, if you decide you want one of the
others, it's relatively cheap to switch.

That said, though, GUIs and databasing are two of the areas where I
think Python's standard library could stand to be improved a bit.
There are definitely some rough edges there.

ChrisA