On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 12:06 AM, Wanderer <wande...@dialup4less.com> wrote:
> Thanks, I didn't know that. I thought there would be some \n \t kind of
> combination or a unicode string for all the key combinations on my keyboard.

Unicode identifies every character, but keystrokes aren't characters.
Consider, for instance, the difference between the keypress Shift+A
and the letter produced - even in the most simple ASCII-only US-only
situation, that could produce either "A" or (if Caps Lock is active)
"a". So if you actually want to trigger Shift+A, you can't represent
that with a character. Controlling a GUI app has to be done with
keystrokes, so it needs a GUI controlling tool.

That said, though: These sorts of keystrokes often can be represented
with escape sequences (I just tried it in xterm and Alt-D came out as
"\e[d"), so you could control a console program using sequences that
you could put into a string. But that's not true of your typical GUI
system.

ChrisA