On 2013-10-18 04:14, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
On Thu, 17 Oct 2013 10:16:24 -0700, Roy Smith wrote:

On Thursday, October 17, 2013 11:07:48 AM UTC-4, Chris Angelico wrote:
Module names should be  descriptive, not fancy.

Interesting comment, on a mailing list for a language named after a
snake, especially by a guy who claims to prefer an language named after
a fish :-)

It's not named after a snake, but after a British comedy group, "Monty
Python". And I daresay that Pike is named after a long stick with a spike
and axe on the end. Just 'cos that would be cooler than naming it after
the fish.

(I'm not sure whether the fish was named after the weapon, or the weapon
after the fish. But I'm pretty sure one was named after the other.)

Common parent more like. "pike" or "pick" or any number of similar variants was a more general term applied to things with a pointed tip. The fish name is a shortening of "pike-fish", so it's obviously not the source of the word. The weapon only really comes into fashion a couple of centuries after the fish's name is first recorded, so it's not the source either.

P.S. It's nice to have access to an electronic copy of the OED.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco