On 11/13/2013 6:27 PM, Rhodri James wrote:
On Wed, 13 Nov 2013 22:53:46 -0000, Terry Reedy <tjre...@udel.edu> wrote:

On 11/13/2013 3:35 PM, bob gailer wrote:

Is there a moderator for this list?

Posts from new addresses go to moderators for spam deletion. There are
a couple a day that are discarded. Posts with 'suspicious headers'
also get checked. Non-suspicious posts from known people (perhaps 90%)
do not get checked. We have not yet gotten into 'censorship' of
trolling and flaming. I would prefer not being forced into considering
it.

This is true of python-list.  comp.lang.python the Usenet newsgroup is
not moderated.  God alone knows what Googlegroups thinks it's doing.

On 11/13/2013 6:50 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:> On Wed, 13 Nov 2013 1
> Terry, perhaps you are referring to the pyt...@python.org mailing list.

Yes, I took 'list' to mean 'mailing list', not 'newsgroup'.

> But this is also a newsgroup,

Two newsgroups, comp.lang.python and gmane.comp.python.general, and (indirectly, I believe) a googlegroup.

> and I believe that there is no moderator on that.

No, not on any of them. However, as near as I can tell, gmane sends posts to python-list first and only displays and archives posts that go out to the list (and back to gmane, if they originate there, like this one). Gmane also has a spam filter and after-the-fact spam reporting. People on c.l.p and py g.g. benefit from filtering of spam originally sent to the list or gmane. About half of it originates from gmail acounts but I do not know (and have not checked) whether gmail posts come directly or via gg.

--
Terry Jan Reedy