On 2013-12-11 13:27, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 04:44:53 -0800, sal wrote:

Now I'd like to use the backtesting package from zipline (zipline.io),

".io" is not normally a file extension for Python files. Are you sure
that's Python code?

That's a package name, not a filename.

but while running the test script in iPython, I receive the following
error:

AssertionError                            Traceback (most recent call
last)
<ipython-input-6-f921351f78e2> in <module>()
----> 1 data = load_from_yahoo()
       2 dma = DualMovingAverage()
       3 results = dma.run(data)

I think you may be missing one or more lines? Perhaps something like
"AssertionError: blah blah blah" appearing after that?

For those unfamiliar with iPython, rather than a standard Traceback, that
appears to suggest that dma.run(data) is raising AssertionError, but we
can't see what (if any) error message is given by that assert, or how it
fails.

No, the ----> arrow points to the active line in that frame of the traceback. Unfortunately, the OP cut off the remaining frames under `load_from_yahoo()` actually has the assert that is failing.

--
Robert Kern