On 11/12/2013 10:44 PM, s...@nearlocal.com wrote:
I'm a Python beginner.  I want to use it for stats work, so I downloaded
Anaconda which has several of the popular libraries already packaged for Mac OS
X.

Now I'd like to use the backtesting package from zipline (zipline.io), but
while running the test script in iPython, I receive the following error:

AssertionError                            Traceback (most recent call last)
<ipython-input-6-f921351f78e2> in <module>()
----> 1 data = load_from_yahoo()
       2 dma = DualMovingAverage()
       3 results = dma.run(data)

1)  I assume that I'm missing some packages that aren't included in Anaconda,
but how do I know which ones to upload?

You're not missing a package, you're missing parameters. This is the signature for load_from_yahoo:

    def load_from_yahoo(indexes=None,
                        stocks=None,
                        start=None,
                        end=None,
                        adjusted=True):

The first thing it does is call a helper function `_load_raw_yahoo_data`, which has this assertion:

    assert indexes is not None or stocks is not None, """

As you're passing no parameters into `load_from_yahoo`, both `indexes` and `stocks` default to None, so the assertion fails. Take a look at the examples in the zipline library to see what it is expecting.
2)  Often I'll just unzip a library file and put the main folder in the iPython
folder, but I notice there's usually a setup.py file in the main library
folder.  I've been ignoring this.  Should I be using it?

Thanks