On 17/12/2013 11:13, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 09:39:06 +0000, Mark Lawrence wrote:

Personally I am convinced that wxPython can't handle unicode for the
simple reason that it doesn't yet support Python 3 and we all know that
Python 2 and unicode don't mix.

I don't think this is right. The Unicode support in Python 2 isn't as
good as in Python 3, but it is still pretty good. You just have to
remember to use the u prefix on your strings.

If it is true that wxPython cannot handle Unicode -- and I see no
evidence that this is correct -- then it is due to the underlying wx*
library, not Python 2.

Sorry folks, I'd been up all night and messed that up completely. I meant to say "Personally I am convinced that *IF* wxPython can't handle unicode *IT WILL BE* for the simple reason that it doesn't yet support Python 3 and we all know that Python 2 and unicode don't mix". It would have been better still if I'd added right at the end "particularly well", with this being the impression I get from the bug tracker, with far fewer bugs being raised against Python 3 unicode that I'm aware of rather than Python 2. I'm now crossing my fingers and legs and hoping that my impression is correct.

--
My fellow Pythonistas, ask not what our language can do for you, ask what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence