On 12/18/2013 3:28 PM, Jerry Hill wrote:
On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 3:17 PM, Jean Dubois <jeandubois...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have a python-program which I want to perform its task first, then
switch to
the python console to experiment with further commands, using what was
already
defined in the python-program.
I want this as an alternative for what I do now (but which is not very
efficient):
I start the python-console and then manually copy-paste line per line from
the program in the console, then try out possible continuation commands,
if however something goes wrong I have to redo the whole process.

On the command line, python itself can take command line options,
including one that does exactly what you're looking for.

python -i script.py

That command will run script.py to its end, then drop you into the
interactive interpreter with the environment intact from running the
script.

This is effectively what Idle does when you run code in an editor window. You can interactive with the result in the Shell window. If there is a traceback, right click on a line in the traceback and select 'goto' to go the the spot of the foul.

--
Terry Jan Reedy