On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 9:32 AM, Mark H. Harris <harrismh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Py3.3.4 and the latest Active TCL are stable on OSX 10.6 or higher. I have
> been very pleased with IDLE on both Gnu/Linux and OSX ( I refuse to use
> Windows ever again, ever) and my latest experience has been fabulous, really.
>  My hat is off to the folks that have made IDLE the simple stable and
> powerful IDE that it is. I am being genuine about this.
>
> Another reason for using Gnu/Linux (and/or OSX) is that generally they are
> faster.  Faster loading, and faster running.  Serious.  I have been hearing
> of (4) second import times for decimal, for instance. Its almost
> instantaneous on Gnu/Linux, or OSX.  Also, run times are considerably faster.
>  That has less to do with the Windows version of python, and more to do with
> the Windows version. YMMV

The point of this thread isn't really about Windows, so I'll try to
keep it brief, but there are a couple of things I should clarify. The
first one is about the 4+ second import time for decimal. I cited
that, recently, and comparing that with "almost instantaneous" on
Debian (which is what I experience) isn't entirely fair, because it's
more about cold cache versus warm cache. (When I shut down IDLE and
fire it up again, I get sub-second import time. Not as fast as the "so
quick as to be immeasurable" that my Debian box gave, but still
quicker than the 4ish second cold cache.)

Actually, I do find that my Linux boxes manage their disk caches far
better than my Windows boxes do. Not sure if that's Linux versus
Windows, or the ext3/4 versus NTFS file system drivers, or something
else, but a warm cache on any of my Linux boxes gives a *huge*
advantage, and my Windows boxes still show it a bit slower.

ChrisA