On 03/11/2014 08:36 PM, Terry Reedy wrote:
On 3/11/2014 6:13 PM, John Gordon wrote:
In <mailman.8062.1394573210.18130.python-l...@python.org> Ethan Furman
<et...@stoneleaf.us> writes:

          if missing:
              raise ValueError('invoices %r missing from batch' % missing)

It's been a while since I wrote test cases, but I recall using the assert*
methods (assertEqual, assertTrue, etc.) instead of raising exceptions.
Perhaps that's the issue?

Yes. I believe the methods all raise AssertionError on failure, and the test
methods are wrapped with try:.. except
AssertionError as err:

    if missing:
      raise ValueError('invoices %r missing from batch' % missing)

should be "assertEqual(missing, [], 'invoices missing from batch')" and if that
fails, the non-empty list is printed
along with the message.

I've tried it both ways, and both ways my process is being killed, presumably
by the O/S.

I will say it's an extra motivating factor to have few failing tests -- if more than two of my tests fail, all I see are '.'s, 'E's, and 'F's, with no clues as to which test failed nor why. Thank goodness for '-v' and being able to specify which method of which class to run!

--
~Ethan~