On 05/06/2014 15:45, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
Rustom Mody <rustompm...@gmail.com>:

What Marko is saying is that by imposing the structuring of unicode on
the outside (Unix) world of text=byte, significant power is lost.

Mostly I'm saying Python3 will not be able to hide the fact that linux
data consists of bytes. It shouldn't even try. The linux OS outside the
Python process talks bytes, not strings.

A different OS might have different assumptions.

Marko

I think I'm in the unix camp as well. I just think that an extra assumption on input output isn't always helpful. In python 3 byte strings are second class which I think is wrong; apparently pressure from influential users is pushing to make byte strings more first class which is a good thing.
--
Robin Becker