On 05/06/2014 18:16, Ian Kelly wrote:

How should e.g. bytes.upper() be implemented then?  The correct
behavior is entirely dependent on the encoding.  Python 2 just assumes
ASCII, which at best will correctly upper-case some subset of the
string and leave the rest unchanged, and at worst could corrupt the
string entirely.  There are some things that were dropped that should
not have been, but my impression is that those are being worked on,
for example % formatting in PEP 461.

bytes.upper should have done exactly what str.upper in python 2 did; that way we could have at least continued to do the wrong thing :)
--
Robin Becker