On 16/05/2015 02:26, Chris Angelico wrote:
On Sat, May 16, 2015 at 7:00 AM, Mark Lawrence <breamore...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
The same file installed perfectly when downloaded and installed in two
steps.  Whether this is simply a known bug with zipfile handling, pip
itself, a combination of both or what I've no idea.

I find it slightly irritating that a tool recommended by the Python
Packaging Authority behaves in such a way, but then I didn't have to dip
into my pocket to pay for it and certainly won't lose any sleep over it as
there's such a simple work around.

The way I see it, pip is great for handling the most common case where
you just want to name a package and say "go fetch", but if you want to
override its decisions, you should use the lower-level facilities eg
manual downloading and setup.py. It's like with Debian packages: I can
type "sudo apt-get install blah" and it'll run off and grab it, check
its signatures, make sure everything's right, and then install it; but
if I want to install something from a different location, the best way
is usually to download it manually, do my own checking, and then "sudo
dpkg -i blah.deb" to actually install it - no apt-get involvement at
all. This shouldn't normally be a problem; you don't *have* to use pip
here, you just want to end up with the package properly installed.

ChrisA

Being on Windows, as I said at the beginning of the thread, the biggest problem is that setup.py can't find VS if there is no whl file to install. Hence it is far easier to get the binaries from elsewhere. Hopefully this problem will disappear in the future as the whl standard becomes prevelant.

As for sudo I always thought that was a type of Japanese wrestling :)

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence