On 7/19/2015 3:32 AM, Rustom Mody wrote:

Unix bc:
$ bc
bc 1.06.95
Copyright 1991-1994, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2004, 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
For details type `warranty'.
4+5
9
obase=8
4+5
11

IOW bc has two (global) variables ibase and obase for input and output base.
If you dont provide these as settable you hardwire them at 10 (8/16 in some
assembly languages)ยน

Hopefully you will agree that python is more full-featured than bc and should
subsume bc functionality?

Nice try ;-) However, I think is not especially relevant. I do not believe that Guido would agree that bc should govern python design. Do *you* really think that? Python is fundamentally a general purpose batch-mode language. Interactive mode is secondary and generally subservient to writing real programs. I know that he has said that he is not inclined to add additional interactive-mode-only features to Python.

--
Terry Jan Reedy