On 2015-07-23 22:50, Mark Lawrence wrote:
On 23/07/2015 22:29, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com>:

Fortunately, we don't need to completely understand it. New Horizons
reached Pluto right on time after a decade of flight that involved
taking a left turn at Jupiter... we can predict exactly what angle to
fire the rockets at in order to get where we want to go, even without
knowing how that gravity yank works.

Practicality beats purity?

Engineer!

Heard the one about the three engineers in the car that breaks down?

The chemical engineer suggests that they could have contaminated fuel.
They should try and get a sample and get someone to take it to a lab for
analysis.

The electrical engineer suggests that they check the battery and the
leads for any problems.

The Microsoft engineer suggests that they close all the windows, get out
of the car, get back in the car, open all the windows and see what happens.

And an Apple engineer would suggest buying a new car that runs only on
its manufacturer's brand of fuel. :-)