On 21/09/2015 13:55, Robin Becker wrote:
I have installed VS2015; this is the full version and was a great deal
of trouble to install. First time out it started whining and I had to
'repair' it.

Anyhow after the 'repair' it said all was OK and no complaints.

However, when I try to use it I don't see options for starting C++
projects, but instead only C#.

I get an error like this trying to build for x86 or amd64

          | building 'reportlab.lib._rl_accel' extension
Stderr:  | error: Unable to find vcvarsall.bat

The most reported problem trying to build anything on Windows that is Python related.

There is a folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
14.0\VC", but it doesn't contain any batch scripts. Document
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/x4d2c09s.aspx claims to be
about VS2015, but has as example

cd "\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\VC"

which is presumably not for VS2015.

Correct, the folder you referenced first should contain the batch file.

Any ideas how to get this to work? Should I try a full reinstall of
VS2015? I can start the VS2015 Developer command prompt, but it doesn't
then know about the "cl" command.

I'd be inclined to go for the reinstall, painful as that might be. I've tried finding the batch file as a separate download but there's just too many hits about "download Visual Studio".

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence