On 22/09/2015 11:14, Robin Becker wrote:
On 22/09/2015 01:36, cjgoh...@gmail.com wrote:
.........t
<http://bugs.python.org/issue24872#msg249589>.

Thanks for the pointer Christoph.

I certainly didn't let it run for 30 minutes. When I build with 2.7, 3.3 or 3.4
the whole build including reportlab stuff is over in a couple of minutes. I will
try again, but a linker that takes 30 minutes to create an extension that ends
up 204Kb long has to be seriously broken. Is it trying to hard? Most of the code
size is in arrays for code points etc etc.

I timed my builds of pyRXPU for x86 + amd64; these are on a core i5-3470 @ 3.20Ghz with 4Gb memory.

python 3.4   1 minute  14 seconds
python 3.5  52 minutes 50 seconds

so with VS2015 it will now take me an hour to make and test any changes to this extension. I don't see how the issue can be considered closed. VS2015 is clearly not the way forward for any reasonable development process.
--
Robin Becker