On 10/31/2015 9:45 PM, Michiel Overtoom wrote:

On 31 Oct 2015, at 06:59, Terry Reedy <tjre...@udel.edu> wrote:
This is a different issue than IDLE avoiding clashes.  I opened
https://bugs.python.org/issue25522

Terry, thanks for recording this into the issue tracker.

I'd go even a step further. I think IDLE should not only warn, but

The warning will require a choice, with the default (if one just hits <Enter>) being to reject the duplicate and go back to the Save-as dialog. Please add yourself as nosy on the issue so you can comment on the message whenever I get around to adding a patch.

completely prevent saving a file which shadows a stdlib module, which
will effectively render Python unusable.

That is too authoritarian for Python. As Chris noted, all I can do with IDLE patches is improve the situation, not solve it.

I remember from a few weeks
back, a teacher with the same problem posted this on the mailinglist.

That involved the additional problem of the working directory being /windows/system32. This was fixed today for 3.5.1.

Eventually she had a technician coming in to reinstall Windows, just
to fix this problem ;-) What an overkill...

If her classroom budget was not charged for that, that may have been the cheapest solution *for her*, though not for the school or whoever paid the tech.
--
Terry Jan Reedy