On 01/01/2016 00:25, Mark Lawrence wrote:
On 31/12/2015 18:54, Karim wrote:

On 31/12/2015 19:18, otaksoftspamt...@gmail.com wrote:
I need to check a string over which I have no control for the first 2
non-white space characters (which should be '[{').

The string would ideally be: '[{...' but could also be something like
'  [  {  ....'.

Best to use re and how? Something else?

Use pyparsing it is straight forward:

 >>> from pyparsing import Suppress, restOfLine

 >>> mystring = Suppress('[') + Suppress('{') + restOfLine

 >>> result = mystring.parse(' [ { .... I am learning pyparsing' )

 >>> print result.asList()

['.... I am learning pyparsing']

You'll get your string inside the list.

Hope this help see pyparsing doc for in depth study.

Karim

Congratulations for writing up one of the most overengineered pile of cobblers I've ever seen.

You welcome !

The intent was to make a simple introduction to pyparsing which is a powerful tool for more complex parser build.

Karim